I love this honest carrot ginger soup! I mean, like I really LOVE carrots, and I really LOVE soup. So when you put those two things together, I’m a very happy girl. It is almost
The back story: Growing up I would always ask for carrot soup for dinner to the horror of my younger brothers. You see as much as I love carrots my younger brothers hated them.
So to compromise my mother would make a big pot of soup for me and freeze them into individual servings. She is nice like that.
The flavors: One of the big problems with carrot soup is sometimes it is masked with other flavors- as if my beloved carrots need to be hidden. I love everything from gorgeous orange
color from a big bowl of carrot soup to the smell of it simmering on the stove. I absolutely adore it with ginger. The trick with adding ginger to anything is so add enough and not make it take over the dish. I found that FRESH ground ginger works best with this dish. It gives the right amount of warmth to make you happy.
Weird Fact: It seems as if in the month of October I eat a lot of orange foods: pumpkin, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and oranges ( hey I live in Florida). I was blown away, maybe it has something to do with fall colors or the fact that those vegetable and fruits are in season but I am all about the orange foods this month.
Can all the real orange food lovers please stand up??!! I’m sorry that sounded better in my head. It happens sometimes.
P.S.- So this soup is named honest carrot ginger soup because whenever I make it everything is tastes honest and straight forward in flavor. Carrots taste like carrot and the ginger taste like ginger and when the two meet magic happens.
P.P.S- Try this warm comforting and very simple soup today.
P.P.P.S- Try to find the carrots with the stems still attached, not only because they are way cuter than the bagged ones but also because you can always tell the freshness based on the stems. If it looks tired pass on them. Also they are almost always more flavorful.
- 2 lbs. of carrot
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup of carrot juice
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Prep: If you have a juicer- Juice 1 cup of carrot juice. set aside.
- In a stock pot, melt butter. Add onion and salt - cook for 1 minute. add garlic and thinly sliced ginger cook for 45 seconds. Add carrots, water, sugar, thyme and carrot juice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer soup in batches to a blender/food processor. Puree soup completely until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives.