Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
This Cheddar Scallion Biscuits Recipe makes the most tender, delicious, fluffy and cheesy biscuits. It is currently raining cats and dogs in Florida and these made the perfect addition to any soup or stew.
- 7 0z Cheddar coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Baking powder
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Frozen butter unsalted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Butter for brushing tops
- Preheat oven to 425. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a food processor. Cut frozen butter into cubes and add to flour, then pulse 6 or 7 times until it looks like a loose crumble. Place the dough back in the bowl, Stir in Cheddar and scallions. Then add buttermilk and stir with a spatula until it forms a rough ball (don’t worry if it is a little sticky).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it into a rough rectangle, about an inch thick. Fold it over and gently roll it down again. Repeat 6 times.
- Gently roll out the dough once more, so that it forms a rectangle. Cut dough into biscuits using a floured glass or biscuit cutter. Do not twist cutter when cutting; this will crimp the edges of the biscuit causing it not to rise. If you have scraps just reform a rectangle and cut additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet and place in oven. Make sure they’re touching. Bake until golden brown, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Serves 6 to 8. Brush on the melted butter and enjoy!
- NOTE: If you don’t have a food processor, you can cut butter into flour in the mixing bowl using a grater, fork or a pastry cutter.