I am currently eating a copious amount of this cilantro lime coconut brown rice. As a matter a fact I had some for breakfast today. Ahhh Brown rice….The breakfast of champions. Mark my words one day it will be a saying.
So here is the thing- brown rice does take some time to cook but it is worth every minute. Once you add the water you really don’t have to check on it again. It is heartier, more flavorful and nutrient-packed than white rice. Verdict- make it, your body will thank you.
Like, I love brown rice but of lately I’ve been on a cilantro kick. I love everything about the flavor, but oddly I never did before. It has a quickly become one of my favorite ways to jazz up brown rice, which I am to be honest is pretty boring. When you add coconut oil to the mix. BOY OH BOY!! Your once boring brown rice takes on another life. It becomes brown rice’s fun uncle.
A little back story about my grandmother, who in a sense is the reason for this blog. Before coconut oil was a big deal to everyone, my grandmother would talk about cooking with it when she was a little girl. She would regale us with stories about how she would use it instead of lotion, hair moisturizer and you name it coconut oil made it better. I never really thought much about coconut oil until I saw everyone else making a big deal about it. It made sense that if you lived on an island that you’d use the resources available. I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Jamaica, but the streets are lined with coconut trees. Basically everyone has a coconut tree or has a neighbor who is willing to share with them. Moral of the story, If grandma says it then I should pay attention. She’s all wise and stuff.
So we made our first cooking video and it was so much fun that we tried our luck again. Funnily, I would always joke that I wanted to make a rice video and put it on youtube. Be careful of what you wish for.
Check it out here.
Make it today and Enjoy!
Cilantro Coconut Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 lime juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cup of water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- Wash rice and set aside. If you have time soak rice for 20 minutes ahead of time. It will cut down on the cook time.
- Preheat medium saucepan on medium-high heat 1-2 minutes. Place oil in the pan, then add rice. Cook rice for 30 seconds, stirring often- until rice is well coated. Stir in water with salt. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce heat to lowest setting; cook 45 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in zest, juice and cilantro. Serve hot.