The kids are big fans of desserts (no surprise there) and I am a big fan of whipped cream (again there is no surprise there). I wanted to make something light for dessert, enter the Mango Pina Colada fool. Dinner is a time when we all come together and catch up. I think my children have figured out the basic formula for me to reward them with dessert. When they do their chores good things happen.
When Abdel and I first started dating we would drive to a local restaurant called The Bahama Breeze and only order a Mango Pina Colada. It was spectacular. I was majestic, it was happiness in a glass. So I thought that for dessert I would make a Mango Pina Colada fool. It’s the best of both worlds, it is easy to make and delicious. I realize that in Florida we don’t really get fall weather, sometimes we freak out when the temperature drops to 76. So we make this dessert all year long.
A Fool is a traditional English dessert, and is basically just berries and cream. What can go wrong with that? Nothing!!! I’m all for breaking rules as long as it taste good. I took that idea and incorporated some of my favorite summer fruits – mangoes and pineapple. I think this is the last time that I will get fresh mangos, however I have made it with frozen mangos and it was equally as good. Promise
While making it I found myself singing the Pina colada song. Don’t act like I’m the only one who has it on her iPod, and if I am don’t tell me. The kids looked at me as if i was an alien… they are already ashamed of my choices in music. I wasn’t expecting this now – during their teen sure but now? I wasn’t ready!
You can do this with any fruit essentially. I have found that you can really use any fruit that is in season and make this fresh and simple dessert. Go wild, have fun! Food should be fun.
Here’s how to make it!
Coconut Mango Fool
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cups Cold Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 28oz can crushed pineapple, divided
- 4 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- marcino cherries
- Strain the crushed pineapple to a mesh strainer.
- take chilled coconut milk from the fridge and open. drain off the clear liquid and reserve the rest. add to mixing bowl and start to whisk, you want to lighten it up. Add the heavy whipping cream to mixer. Whisk until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar. Continue to whisk until you achieve stiff peaks. Fold in a 1/4 cup of the crushed pineapple. Do not overmix!
- Add the remaining crushed pineapple, mango and sugar to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- To assemble the fool, add a dollop of whipped cream mixture to the bottom of small serving glass. Add a layer of the mango and pineapple mixture. Top the crushed mango pineapple mixture with the toasted almonds. Add the remaining whipped cream mixture between the 4 dishes. Sprinkle the top mango pineapple mixture and add cherry.
- Best if made right before serving but if not Cover the glasses with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
very nice post, i surely enjoy this fabulous internet site,
You had me at mango!! What a great summer drink! Will definitely have to give this a try 🙂
I love mangoes too! One of my favorite fruits 🙂
Wow! Pina coladas are something I always associate with a night out on a beach vacation. I love that you’ve shared a great recipe to make them at home!
Yup, Pina colada anything is always a winner 🙂
It’s spring time here is Australia so the mangoes will be out soon and this looks like a perfect dessert to share with the kids. 🙂
I need to move to Australia for mango season 🙂 I just adore mangoes.
Going to make these on Sunday. And the other day I was saying I need to use these umbrellas
Hahahaha, those little umbrellas instantaneously mean a good time 🙂
Will be saving this one for when it’s really hot!
Thank you Ali!!! Pin it for hotter temps. if you are on Pinterest 🙂
That looks so good. I can finish off in no time. bookmarked 🙂
I will right away clutch your rss as I can not in finding
your email subscription link or e-newsletter service.
Do you’ve any? Please allow me recognise so that I could subscribe.
Thank you so much Susan! I do have the subscription tab on the front page. Also I just installed the pop up version as well. Hope that helps 🙂
Hi, I do believe this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;
) I will revisit once again since I saved as a favorite it.
Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.
Thank you so much Lawrence!
wow, yammmmmmyyyy.. this looks absolutely fantastic..
It is so delish. Hope you like it!
That looks wonderful!
It is my favorite end of summer dessert!
Wow — that drink looks so good! Pinned so I can give it a try.
Thanks Penny! Hope you like it!
This looks delish! Makes me nostalgic for summer. Definitely pinning.
Awesome Chelsea! I’m missing summer already but Oh how I love fall.
Looks so good! I know a few fools but I have never heard of a fool before.
Hahahahaha! best comment ever! let me know how you like this fool.