Super easy Jamaican banana fritters are light, fluffy and soooooo tasty. It is a cross between a donut and mini pancakes.
The weekends are made for pancakes in my house. Saturday morning are banana fritters central. I have been making these for the kids since they were babies. These Jamaican banana fritters are in essence a Jamaican’s idea of a pancake. And because it is made with super ripe bananas these little gems are naturally sweet.
So I was kinda confused what I should classify these as. I’m not too sure if they are exclusively eaten as a breakfast item because honesty, in our families (My family and The hubsters family) we eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Partially because they are so easy to make, we kinda make them ALL-THE-TIME. So if you feel like making ’em for breakfast…make ’em. If you make the for dessert…make ’em. Food should be eaten whenever you want. Forget the rules. Enjoy the grub!
So my mother gave me the recipe for these fritters years ago. So I told her that I was going to share them with you guys. She gave me the recipe with a clause in it. I had to point out that she likes them sprinkled with a little bit of salt. Traditionally, that is how they are served. But we are sauce obsessed around here, so I serve my fritters with peanut butter or nutella— or both!
- 3 super ripe bananas
- 2 eggs, whites separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- enough oil to shallow fry the fritters.
- In a large bowl smash the bananas along with the egg yolk. Add the spices and sugar, combine together. Add the flour and milk alternatively. When combined- whisk the egg whites. Slowly add in the egg whites careful as not to deflate the volume.
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron with oil up to about ½ inch on medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Using a large spoon scoop up the batter and fry in batches. Do not over crowd the pan. Note: You will see the edge of the fritters start to turn a golden brown color. Turn only once.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fritters and place them on paper towels. Allow to sit for about a minute.
- Sprinkle with confectioner sugar. Serve warm with peanut butter or nutella.