One of my very favorite things to do is what I call pantry cooking. I love taking everyday staples that are in my pantry and coming up with new things to make with them. It just so happens that I always have sardines, capers and can tomatoes stocked- enter this amazingness. This pasta sauce is so different from the usual sauce but in the best possible way. The chilli peppers add the right amount of heat while the capers add the extra punch of brine-y flavor that makes this sauce a winner.
I think that sardines have gotten a bad wrap in recent years. But can I just make a case for the humble little sardine? It is inexpensive, it is full of healthy stuff and most importantly it is delicious. I find that buying the skinless and boneless sardine gives me the flexibility to add it to different dishes seamlessly.
This pasta dish is filling but not heavy. No nap necessary zone. This dish is also super easy to make. It is ready in 20 mins or less.
Spaghetti with sardines, capers and lemon
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic clove crushed
- 1 small onion
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans skinless and boneless sardines
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- Bring a big pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a generous amount of salt. Cook the spaghetti in salted water according to pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, stir to ensure that they do not burn. Add the chilli flakes, tomatoes and sardines, breaking up roughly. Cook for 3 mins, then stir in the capers, lemon zest, lemon juice and most of the cilantro. Mix well to combine.
- To Serve
- Drain the pasta, reserving a couple of tbsp of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well, adding the reserved water if the sauce is too thick. Divide into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro. serve while hot!
This is so good and easy to prepare. I’m not a sardine user but I think Injust changed my mind. The only comment other than unabashed praise for this dish is to save about a third of a cup of pasta water to add to the sauce.
I’m so trying this tonight. I love that this is a bit of a light sauce.
The sauce is so light and perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. Let me know how you like it 🙂
This looks amazing! I have all these ingredients. I love the idea of pantry cooking. Can you make more recipes like this?? PlzzzzZ!!!
I will definitely make more recipes like this. I love a quick pasta sauce, it means that I get to eat sooner rather than later. 🙂