Now you could stop right he read dive right in. However, I want you to engage in a trust exercise with me. Let top it with some cheddar thyme biscuits. SAY WHAT!??!! This is a beef stew and cheddar thyme biscuit recipe after all. Don’t tell anyone but this butter is betta than any other butta! I don’t know why I did that. ??? I went crazy and used two kinds of cheddar. You can use regular cheddar but I like the color that the biscuit has with both. This stew is rich, earthy and filling. I think I had a stroke of genius topping it with these cheddar and thyme biscuits. Miss Oslo would always serve her stew over white rice—- which is insanely good. However a few years back I topped it with biscuits. It was a hit. See what happens is that the cheddar biscuits soke up the bubbling gravy. So you get the effect of biscuits and gravy ALONG with this warm stew. It is a done deal. I can’t ask for more on this rainy over cast gray day. This is the most important step in biscuit making…. About half way through the baking brush on some salted butter. Your taste buds will thank you. And because there is always extra biscuits to be eaten. And to the victor goes the spoils…. And all that! Make this beef stew and cheddar thyme biscuit recipe today and make my great grandmama happy. Enjoy! ???
Miss Oslo’s Beef Stew + cheddar thyme biscuits
- Beef Stew
- 2 pound chuck roast cut into cubes fat trimmed
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Half small cabbage shredded
- 4 carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 1 plum tomatoes
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup of beef or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes/ scotch bonnet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Cheddar thyme biscuits
- Trim the beef. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat on medium to high heat. Add olive oil. When the pot is hot add beef. Do not over crowd. Brown the beef. To move from pot. Drain excess oil. Put leave enough to coat bottom of pan. Add opinions and allow to brown about 3 minutes. Then add garlic and tomato. Cook for 1 minute. Add the beef, cabbage, parsnips, bay leaf and carrots. Cover with broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hour. Beef should be tender.
- If you are not topping it with biscuits. Serve over warm rice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the cheddar thyme biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on top of stew. Place the cast iron skillet in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Note: I recommend brushing on some melted melted butter at the 15 minute mark.