This is such a simple but satisfying meal. Crock-pot lentil curry has everything that you could ask for in a comforting meal. It is creamy with a nice undertone of heat. If you need to find me I’ll be in my kitchen huddled over a bowl and singing Kumbaya!
This crock-pot lentil curry tho! Let me start off by saying, this is a lifesaver for those days when I have no clue what to cook. I love toss and go meals on days like those. And I might be slightly in love/obsessed with my slow cooker. It is my very best friend.
I love that lentils are kinda like a super food. You can do anything with them… those them in a salad, or soup, or make em into a burger, or loaf. The possibilities are endless. I absolutely love that lentils are packed with tons of protein. I’ve been training for a marathon and I love having this for lunch. I make a big bath on Sundays and then I have a bowl most days for lunch. It is so addictive.
Am I the only one that gets super excited when I add coconut milk to a dish? That smile is everything!
Shhhhhh don’t tell the kids but I’m literally hiding in the kitchen eating this while I write this post. It is my quite time. Just me and my bowl. I have to remind myself constantly that there is a big bright world outside with other foods than this stew. Because all I want to do is vacuum as much in my tummy. Sorry not sorry!
And PS- My kiddos love this dish. I get lots of “hmmmmm” and “yums”. Which in my book is a big win. I think it is the creaminess of both the lentils and potatoes cooked down in a tomato and coconut sauce. Ain’t nothing wrong with that!!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. Tag me when you do make it. I love seeing ’em.
Crock-pot Lentil Curry
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed properly
- 1 cup brown lentil rinsed properly
- 2 rustic potatoes or 1 large sweet potato cubed
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cumin seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14 ounce can tomato if whole cut them into pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- *cilantro for garnishing
- *rice for serving
- Rinse the lentils and place them in a large crockpot. Add the potatoes, diced onions, garlic, ginger, butter, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Pour the diced tomatoes in with lentils. Use stock or water to cover the lentils. Stir to make sure that the lentils are covered with liquid. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Keep checking the lentil’s water level especially if you are cooking it on high. Keep adding water if it looks too dry. We like it to be the consistency between a soup and a stew. So add more or less water base on your desired finish consistency. Stir in the coconut milk and then the cilantro just before serving. Serve over hot rice.