I! love! Tofu! It is one of those irrational love stories too. It seems that this jerk tofu and pineapples was made for me. Like seriously!
There I said it… I LOOOOOOOOOOVE tofu. Can all my tofu lovers please take a stand with me? We don’t have to be afraid or cower because the world thinks that tofu is this bland boring meat substitute. We should start a group and call it Tofu lovers United. I’m going to make a Facebook group right now. Head on over Tofu Lovers United . We can be our own little clan of tofu lovers 🙂 We finally have a safe place.
I still remember when I first had tofu in high school. The memory still haunts me, it was bad. I mean like reaaaalllly bad. I was never brave enough to try it again until I met Abdel. He made the most bombdiggity sweet and sour tofu ever. I think that is when I knew he was the one.
This is my favorite clean-eating-uber-healthy-but-super-yummy-vegan-weeknight-dinner. The addition of Abdel’s favorite Jamaican Jerk Marinade takes this tofu to another level. Like outta this world kinda levels. It literally is a flavor bomb to any dish. Tofu’s texture allows it to absorb all those flavors.
I finished this dish with a cooling Pineapple-Ginger glaze that helps to balance the heat coming from the Jerk Marinade. Just note the glaze does have butter in it. So this dish isn’t totally vegan but hey I am trying. Forgives??!! The bottom line- you can make it with the butter or without the butter. It is still delish!! Promise.
Happy Meatless Monday y’all! This GIF + ME= DROOL. It is meatless Monday, not mathless Monday, you are welcome .
So now that I’ve made my case lets get into how to make it.
Jamaican Jerk Tofu and Pineapples
- 1 block tofu
- 1/2 pineapple
- chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup Jamaican Jerk Marinade check out ours
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for grill pan
- 1 Cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Pinch salt
- For the glaze:
- Put all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and put on medium heat. Cook until the glaze is slightly thickened. Work carefully because the glaze will be sticky and very hot. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Grill tofu and pineapple:
- Slice the tofu widthwise into 6-7 thick slabs. Place the sliced of tofu between sheets of paper towel (as shown above) onto a plate and place another plate on top and a can on top of it all. Trust me this will work wonders. Press the tofu for 30 minutes, then drain off and discard the paper towel.
- Brush the tofu with the Jerk marinade. Cover the plate with plastic wrap, and marinate tofu in the refrigerator for 1 hour or I recommend doing it overnight.
- Heat grill-pan over medium heat and oil pan. Grill the tofu and pineapple until almost blackened in spots, brushing occasionally with the extra marinade, about 15 minutes.
- To serve:
- place tofu and pineapple on plate sprinkle with cilantro and pour on the glaze. Enjoy!!!