Friends, I can hardly contain my excitement for this Harvest chickpea and sweet potato curry. Growing up this curry was a staple in our home. This dish is filling, healthy, easy and (can I just say) inexpensive to make. I think that is a win, win, win and win.
My mom is the queen of freezer cooking. She mastered it even before it became a trend. She would spend most of her Sundays preparing the meals for the week. I always looked forward to days when she would make roti and curry. It was an event. Like stop the press- mom is making roti- kinda big deal happening. Any kind of curry would be amazing, but this Harvest chickpea and sweet potato curry held a special place in my stomach’s heart.
The first time that I had chickpeas, I was a vegetarian in college. I had hummus at a friends house and that was the beginning of my love of chickpeas. I love these little beans. Chickpeas are packed with protein. I call ’em my protein superstars because whenever we need to sneak in some extra protein for the kids; I add them to a dish. The great thing is that Chickpeas wants to absorb whatever flavor that you choose. It is accommodating like that.
When I think of a great stew it usually has curry powder and coconut milk in it. I mean, what can be better than warming curry mixed with the creaminess of coconut milk? That’s right- Nothing! That combo goes together like Ben and jerry… Like bread and butter. Alrighty now. Like seriously. I usually have this curry chickpeas with naan or roti but last night we had it with the cilantro lime coconut brown rice from a few posts ago!!!! Sayyyyyyyy What??!! Yup- I dids that. I couldn’t help myself. I think I ate my bowl in 5 minutes flat.
I almost had the whole pot of this harvest curry by myself. The kids were outside with Abdel washing the car— no one would have known. Somehow I reined in what self-restraint that I had left and stopped. It took everything to stop myself from taste testing it every 5 minutes. This curry is that awesome.
This Harvest chickpeas and sweet potato curry is simple , comforting , warming , yummy and nutritious . I think I’m MOMing like a BOSS .
Make this harvest chickpeas and sweet potato curry today and see why I almost had the whole pot by myself. I also made another video just to show how easy this is to make at home.
Harvest chickpea and sweet potato curry
- 1 large onions peeled
- 2 clove garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes I like it hot
- 3 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2- to-1-inch cubes
- 15 oz coconut milk
- 2 ¼ cups hot vegetable broth
- 4 cups about 3 15 1/2-ounce cans, drained canned or cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- In a large, dutch oven or pot, heat the coconut oil and add chopped onion. Allow this to soften for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili, and curry powder to the onions. Stir and allow the curry powder to deepen in color- about several minutes. Add broth.
- Add the (drained and rinsed) chickpeas, the tomatoes, and sweet potato. Then add the coconut milk. And stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover. Stir occasionally and give the dish at taste after 20 minutes(most of the liquid would have reduced). Check for salt and add to taste. If you want the dish extra spicy, add more crushed red pepper flakes.
- Before serving, add a handful of fresh chopped cilantro. Serve atop fluffy brown rice or with roti or with naan. You get the idea! Enjoy!!!!
This looks and sounds so delicious. All my favorite ingredients 🙂
Me too Debbie 🙂 I absolutely love this curry.
Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
Oh I’ve never had a chickpea! This looks good!
It is so yummy Mar. Chickpeas are everything to me this fall 🙂
Look at that gorgeous color! This looks amazing, and I’d definitely be willing to try making it.
Give it a try Danielle! I also have a really quick video to help 🙂
Great photos, this looks to die for!
Thank you Samantha! It is pretty yummy!
Pinned for later! This looks delicious!
Awesome Katie! I hope you like it 🙂
This looks delicious. I am currently looking for more real-food and vegetarian dishes for my family, but with a house full of man-sized, sports playing, boys I need tons of protein in the meals. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Heather! I use to think that meat was the best form of protein but I’m finding that beans are little protein superheroes. 🙂
This looks so yummy! I love curry! I actually just posted a curry recipe on my blog recently too! It was a warm salad w/ kale! 😀
Ginger Marie | http://www.thegingermarieblog.com
Thank you Ginger! I am heading there to check it out like NOW. I can never have too much curry! 🙂
Yum! This looks delicious. I can’t wait to try making it ?
Awesome Jenine!!! Let me know how you like it 🙂