What can be wrong with apples, ginger, lime, water and a little sugar? Nothing, absolutely nothing can be wrong with that. In Florida, we don’t get much of a dip in temperature during Fall but ever so often we do get a cool breeze. When that happens I do a few things: bust out my boots, open the windows, and make something warming. It’s 76 degrees outside. I think days like today deserve something special. Enter my favorite Apple ginger beer to save the day.
Can I just reminisce for like a minute? As a child, Sunday afternoons were essential to having a good life. A few things would happen on Sundays: 1. My grandmother would come over after church. 2. I would be able to play with my brothers outside 3. I could get dirty. So, only a few things could get me to come in after playing all day long. My Grandmother could make it happen without any words. She would religiously make a hefty jug of this amazing Apple ginger beer. She would have a glass of the apple ginger beer ready and waiting. That is all I needed.
This apple ginger beer is so simple it might make my grandmother proud. It has 5 SUPER simple ingredients: apple, water, lime, ginger and sugar. The fact that I just throw everything in the juicer makes me proud.
Now most kids might shy away from fresh apple ginger beer because of all the fresh GINGERness. But not me. I loved the warmth from ginger, mixed with the tartness of the lime and the sweetness from the brown sugar and apples. It makes you want to shout, jump and perhaps skip. Question: Do people still skip around? Like, I think I would be caught off guard if I saw someone skipping down the street. Especially if they were over the age of 10.
Unlike supermarket ginger beers- that are made with carbonated water, corn syrup, and “natural” “ginger” “flavoring”, this apple ginger beer is made the “new” “old-fashioned” way. It has fresh apples, fresh ginger, fresh lime and a little brown sugar. Basically, it is filled with tons of sweet freshness.
The best thing is that everything is basically done by the juicer. I have had this little bad boy since Jonathan was a baby. I wanted to make fresh apple juice for him so I bought one for my Christmas gift. Am I the only one that buys a Christmas gift for themself?
I love coming up with simple juices to make in the juicer. I found that the juice comes out concentrated from the juicer, so adding a little water is key to getting the right balance. I think we all know that ginger is small, but it packs a big punch.
The weekends are made for living. So live and make this. Enjoy!!
And because I’m really enjoying making videos, here is the Apple ginger beer recipe video:
Apple Ginger beer
- A 3-4 inch piece of fresh ginger root peeled. Adjust this to taste, I like my ginger beer heavy on the ginger side. I used a 4 inches as I prefer a stronger ginger taste.
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar.
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 5 cups of filtered water
- 2 apples
- Note: I like my ginger beer on the strong side. Keep in mind that You can add water and/ or sugar to take some of the bite from the ginger. Also, you can add soda water if you wanted to.
- In a small saucepan place sugar and 1 cup of water, turn on to medium heat. stir until sugar has dissolved and the liquid has reduced by half. set aside to cool.
- Juicer method:
- Cut the ginger root, limes and apple into quarters. In turns, juice them. reserve the juice.
- Blender method:
- placed the ginger root, apple and limes in the blender with 1/2 water and blend. strain the liquid and separate the juice and reserve.
- In a large jug mix the simple sugar mixture and the reserved juice together. Add water, combine.
- Serve over tons of ice. Enjoy!