This recipe helps to figure out how to make fluffy pearl barley. It is chewy, nutty and full of nutrients.
I have been on a health journey for the last few months. I’ve cut down on my white rice consumption, which means that I had to find tons of new grains. My mom is my resident grain master. She loves buglur, farro and freekeh. She told me to try barley, it is similar to brown rice just chewier.
So barley comes in two forms: pearled and hulled. Pearled barley is what you will find in most stores. Hulled barley is extremely tough; I found that pearl barley is easier to cook.
Pearl barley one of the oldest grains- But most importantly it is filling and easy to make. I’ve had barley in soup – but Barley is so diverse I made the best darn Tofu Barley Fried Rice.
It is so easy to substitute in any weeknight dinner or sprinkle it on a salad. Try it like right now.
How To Make Fluffy Pearl Barley
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water or low sodium stock
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Smashed Garlic Clove
- Put the barley, garlic, salt and water/stock in the saucepan.
- Bring the water and barley to a boil over high heat.
- When the barley has reached a rapid boil, lower the heat to a low simmer and cover. At the 20 minute mark, check the barley if additional water/stock is needed.
- Add more water if the pan becomes dry before the barley has finished cooking. Check for texture.
- When the barley is done, it will have absorbed most of the water. If it has tons of water. simply drain it off. And cover the pot and allow to stand for 5-8 minutes. Then fluff with a fork. Enjoy!
You might also like these other Barley recipes:
This budget-friendly summer Mushroom Asparagus Barley Salad with Lemon Dill Dressing recipe- just screams bright and light and delicious.
This simple herb mushroom barley salad has everything and is everything. Fluffy herbed barley tossed with fresh lemon juice and roasted vegetables is perfection.
I love when I can take a twist on a popular dish. This super easy Tofu Barley Fried Rice is a flavorful, filling and can be prepared in 20 minutes. That’s faster than take out, not to mention more nutritious.