Ahhhhhhhhhh this lemony asparagus orzo.
If I could (and let’s be completely honest I might) have this everyday.
I love any dish that look and sound super fancy but in actuality is super simple. I love simple dishes because I think I have finally gotten to the point where I just don’t have all the time in the world. It might be because I’m low on time. Or I’m trying to hit up netflix asap.
I’ve been trying to hold on to the very last days of summer. And weirdly so is my little lemon tree. Usually lemon trees are in bloom during the winter months. But just like me- it is best during the summer- fall months. I’m not questioning it. I’m just enjoying it.
This salad is light, easy and so super fast. It is super chill and low key, however when you taste the lemony vinaigrette everything comes alive. I made it in less than 2o minutes in between answering algebra and reading comprehension questions. The best part is that the kids ate it in less than that time. Which is a win-win-win!
Yay!!!!! It’s friday. Make it today for dinner and enjoy the last days of summer with this Easy Lemony Asparagus Orzo.
Lemon Asparagus Orzo Salad
- For the dressing
- 1 lemon zested
- juice from 2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon fresh Thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper OPTIONAL
- For the orzo
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can chick peas drained
- 2 cups dry orzo pasta
- Place the lemon zest, juice, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper in a deep bowl.
- Add oil and whisk until it emulsifies. Alternately you can toss them all in a jar and shake until the dressing comes together. Set aside.
- Bring some water to boil in a medium pot. Cut off the end pieces off the asparagus. Cut the asparagus stalks into 2 inch pieces. Put the asparagus in the water and allow to boil for about 1 minute. Drain the water.
- Place the vegetable broth and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the salt and bring back to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain orzo. Place the hot orzo in a large bowl, add the asparagus and chick peas. Whisk the dressing if needed and pour it over the salad. Toss well.
- If you don’t want to make this vegan- you can add 1 tablespoon butter and 1/4 grated parmesan cheese.