One pot Chicken Chickpeas and Orzo
One pot Chicken Chickpeas and Orzo has tons of protein and fiber but without that wretched diet feel. It was the perfect light but filling 30 minute dinner.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Chopped/Cubed
- 1 Lb Orzo
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Puree
- 3 Cups Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1- 15 oz Can Chickpeas Rinsed and Drained
- 4 Garlic Minced
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Feta Crumbled
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- Cilantro for serving
- 1 Teaspoon Salt and black pepper to taste
Overnight Chicken Dry Brine
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt and black pepper
- Prep: Dry brine the chicken. In a bowl or ziplock bag, add the cubed chicken and spices. Marinade over night for best results. Place a pot over medium-high heat; add oil. Add chicken pieces. Cook and stir until chicken begins to turn opaque, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in chicken broth and tomato sauce. Raise heat to high and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium until pasta is almost tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat. Add crumbled cheese, cilantro, and fresh lime juice.
The recipe looks great. At what stage would you recommend adding the chikpeas to the pot?