Crispy Fried Chicken
This crispy fried chicken recipe is a picnic favorite. Easy enough for weeknight dinners or Sunday get togethers. Wonderfully crisp and perfectly seasoned. Make it and love it!
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 Teaspoon Cheyenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 8 Pieces Chicken
- 6 cups High heat oil (Peanut oil or safflower oil)
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Dry brine:Take all the ingredients for the brine and the chicken pieces place them in a ziplock bag or air tight container. Rub the brine into the chicken. Don’t be shy. Let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight( I recommend overnight).Put the flour, corn starch, sugar, salt and pepper in a large plastic bag. Open the ziplock bag with the chicken and pour in buttermilk. Give them a good shake. Take out a couple pieces of chicken at a time and place them in the bag with the flour, seal the bag and shake to coat well. Place the coated chicken on a wire rack and cover them with a dish towel/ paper towel what ever you have. Allow them to sit and the flour/buttermilk mixture to get sticky. This requires trust. It works.Fill a large cast iron skillet about 1/2 full with oil. Heat until VERY hot but not smoking. Put in the leg and thighs first. remember not to over crowd. Fry the chicken on both sides until brown. When browned, reduce heat and cover skillet; let cook for 30 minutes (this is how the chicken will cook on the inside). Now for the crispy skin: remove the cover, raise heat again and continue to fry until crispy.Remove the chicken from the oil and place the chicken on paper towels. Then to cool place them on a wire rack and place in an oven to keep warm while the other pieces are frying. That is why I recommend frying the dark pieces first so that they won’t dry out in the oven. Serve warm or at room temp with honey. Enjoy!
???????? This chicken looks AMAZING. Can I use a deep fryer? I need a cast iron for Christmas ????
I have tried so many times and I can never get it right. ????
Hey Amy! Never give up on fried chicken- it’s too important- hahahahaha! Give it a try and let me know how you like it 🙂
All of this food looks to die for!! ???????????????????? I can go for some delicious chicken and biscuits any day!
Hiya Haneef!!! I love fried chicken any day. Like seriously have to take myself out of making it 2-3 times per weeks lol!
I love this!! I’m so making this for the 4th. My family is the same way- Sunday dinners are very important to us as well.
Hi Keisha! I mean Sunday dinners are a given in my family. I hope you like it. Send me pics 🙂