Spicy Black-eye peas soup
- 2 cans low sodium black eye peas
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms
- 4 slices uncured turkey bacon
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper garnish:
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add chopped up turkey bacon. sauté until crisp and remove the turkey bacon from pan and set aside.
- Add chopped onion. Allow to cook until the become transparent. Add mince garlic and chopped mushrooms. Allow the mushroom to turn golden brown approx. 1-2 minutes. Add stock, black eye peas, thymes, bay leaf and bell pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small pan, add olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Allow the olive oil to heat but do not allow the garlic to brown. Approximately 1-2 minute.
- Add the pepper and garlic oil to the soup. Stir and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Top with crisp turkey bacon.