Spicy Black-eye peas soup
- 2 cans low sodium black eye peas
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms
- 4 slices uncured turkey bacon
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper garnish:
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add chopped up turkey bacon. sauté until crisp and remove the turkey bacon from pan and set aside.
- Add chopped onion. Allow to cook until the become transparent. Add mince garlic and chopped mushrooms. Allow the mushroom to turn golden brown approx. 1-2 minutes. Add stock, black eye peas, thymes, bay leaf and bell pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small pan, add olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Allow the olive oil to heat but do not allow the garlic to brown. Approximately 1-2 minute.
- Add the pepper and garlic oil to the soup. Stir and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Top with crisp turkey bacon.
It raining, I’m hungry this has to be made asap!!!!
Thank you Beth!!!! I am so glad you are going to make it. I hope you enjoyed it. 🙂
This soup looks awesome! (As do all of your recipes). I’m over here re-pinning like crazy. Thanks for sharing! 😀
Thank you so much Diane! You are so kind. 🙂
Your pictures are gorgeous. Interested how you got the lighting to work so well?
This soup seems perfect for the weather we’ve been having in Louisiana!
Thank you Celina. I used natural lighting. Basically I found a spot in my kitchen and positioned the pot/bowl so that I got light coming in from the back(back lighting). I think my camera settings were ISO-100, F-5.6 and 0.4 SEC. I use a Canon btw. Hope that helps 🙂
Oh my yum! This looks amazingly delicious. And healthy. Pinning for later!
It is so refreshing to see a good Black Eyed Pea recipe! I love them! Especially with cornbread. Thank you for sharing. New food blogger friend in me!
What a delicious soup! Saving this one to try. It’s been so cold here, this would be perfect.
This looks like the perfect winter comfort food. What a delicious soup!
This soup looks amazing. Thanks for the recipe!
This looks so delicious! I LOVE black eyed peas!!
Yum! This recipe sounds absolutely delicious! I will keep this idea in mind when I need something new to feed my family.
This looks so good. The pictures are really beautifully done. I added it to my pinterest so I can give it a try. Soup is always a big hit here during Michigan winters. Thanks for sharing.
I need some soup in my life today! This looks fantastic 🙂
This looks amazing! It is so cold today… I’m going to make this for dinner.
I’m all over the soup right now, too! This one looks delish – love the turkey bacon idea 🙂
This looks so delicious and would be so easy to make vegan! I’m going to have to try!