I love any meal that is basically a toss in and walk away fare. Because honestly, by the time friday comes around I am exhausted. I know that the kids love chicken parmesan, but I just could do it today. I know I know there is always time for pasta but not today. Have you ever had a bad day that lead into a bad night. Well I’ve had one of those week. I love a well seasoned meatball. And I find with chicken that is super important. Also equally important is getting the herb finely minced. I use my handy dandy food processor. I like live for this thing. So I dropped some mozzarella on it. The mozzarella added a extra stretchy-0h-so-cheesey factor to this dish. Is it wrong that I was super distracted today know that I had this at home waiting for me? This image is what I was thinking about while on a conference call? Usually people would have pictures of loved ones on their phone ( I do too) but I also have images of saucy meatballs and English muffins. You could have it without bread seeing that there is quinoa in the meatballs already so you are all set. However, visualize this with me…. extra sauce on the plate you could lick it or use a spoon or you could toast some bread and sop it up. I might have done all three of the aforementioned things (don’t tell my mom, she would cringe) but I don’t feel ashamed. this is real life and sometime food is just too good for me care. The final step is to add some extra parmesan cheese on top because really when has a dish ever been ruined by extra parm? Like never! Enjoy friends and have a splendid weekend.
Chicken Parmesan meatball bake
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 basil leaves fined chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cheyenne pepper
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- For the sauce:
- 1 jar 24 ounces plum tomatoes with sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat a large dutch oven on medium- high heat. Add oil, then add onion. Stir for 1 minute and add garlic. to the pot add tomatoes with sauce. Smash to whole tomatoes. Add Thyme, oregano, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes. Allow to start bubbling and reduce heat.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- While the marinara sauce is cooking, prepare the meatballs.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and use your hands to mix them together. Form into medium balls, about 2-3 inches in diameter and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Add the meatballs to pasta sauce. Stir gently to coat everything in sauce. Add the mozzarella on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parmesan.
- Serve immediately with toasted bread. Enjoy!!!
You know what? I loved it! I’ve never had a chicken meatball!
what could I put instead of quinoa?
This sounds great. We love chicken parm too but is such a pain to make. I would add pasta for sure. I’m such a bad girl.
I have had it on rice, quinoa, pasta and on good ol’ toast. There is so judgement here Maggie! hahahahaha!
Such a good comfort dish!
Right, Paula??? I could have it everyday!!!
love chicken parmesan but I get ya , with taking a long time to make
this looks awesome and easier on a busy week day
will pin this for later thanks 🙂
I’m all about easy dinner ideas during the week too Sue. One the weekends I can Julia Childs it up. lol
Those look SO good! Yum!
Thanks Nikkiana! 🙂
That looks amazing! Pinned it for later.
Thanks Miranda:-) let me know how you like it.
Yum! I wonder if it would be good with rice. I’ll have to try it!
WOW I need this in my belly.
Hahahahaha! I’ve been distracted all day looking at it. 🙂
These sound really good! I’ll have to try them out.
I’m so glad you liked it Crystal!!!