Easy Homemade English Muffins
- 5 1/2 cups flour plus more for kneading
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- cornmeal for dusting
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over low heat until it becomes warm- do not boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When the milk is cool, whisk in the egg and coconut oil.
- In a stand mixer, add the lukewarm water and honey stir to combine.Then add the yeast, allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the flour and salt to the bowl. Fit the mixer with the dough hook attachment. Put the mixer on low speed, gradually pour the milk mixture into the flour. Continue to beat on low until the flour is incorporated. Turn the speed up to medium and allow to mix for 4 minutes, until dough is smooth and sticky.
- Place the dough out into a lightly oiled bowl. Also lightly cover the top of the dough with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel and set in a warm pace to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size. I placed mine in my microwave.
- After an hour, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, using as little flour as possible, gently knead the dough together. (The dough is very sticky. Add just enough flour to make it easy to handle ) Using a biscuit cutter or cup, cut the dough. Do not twist the cutter when shaping the muffins.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust with cornmeal. Place the muffins the baking sheet. Sprinkle more cornmeal over the tops. Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a warm -dry place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. It can vary from 1 hour to 2 hours. The bigger the better is always my motto.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Gently lift each muffin with a plastic spatula and place it on the griddle. (Handle the dough with care so you don’t deflate them). Cook them for about 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned on both sides. Place the muffins back on the cookie sheet. Bake them for 10 minutes.
- Split the English muffins with a fork. Pan-toast them and serve warm with your favorite jam and/or butter.
- Additionally you can store them in the freezer. Double ziplock bag them to ensure they stay fresh.