I might need a minute. My mind needs to catch up to my taste-buds. Have you ever had something so simple that it kinda knocks you on your butt for a minute? Well thanks to the humble lentil, I had to rethink somethings. This curry braised lentils is everything to me right now. I literally have had them for dinner three nights in a row. To be clear I had them with dinner- before dinner- after dinner. I found myself sneaking into the pot after dinner for a second bite. I might need a lentil-vention y’all!
So the secret to a good lentil dish is to develop the flavors from the beginning. I used a few spices to braise the lentils: turmeric, cumin seed, curry powder and red pepper flakes. The trick is to allow them to bloom or develop a deeper flavor by adding them to the oil before adding the lentils.
The best part is that these curry braised lentils are so super easy to make and full of flavor. Did I mention this recipe is done in 20 minutes? I made a big pot of these curry braised lentils and had leftover for days. I call that a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN situation.
Oh wait a minute… Did I forget to mention the these curry braised lentil are full of protein? So if you are looking for a good meatless meal this. is. it.
So let me see if I can stop my lentil-obsession for just one minute to explain how good these lentils are. Lentils are buttery, tender. They absorb all the flavors of the quick curry sauce. Make this today- your wife, husband, kids, mother, mother-in-law, neighbor will thank you. You might need a lentil-vention after this.
Curry Braised Lentils
- 2 cups lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups broth
- 2 teaspoon butter
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds , red pepper flakes and curry powder, cook for about 1 minute. When you smell the spices, add the onion and garlic. Cook until vegetables are golden and soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in lentils and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add enough broth, salt to cover by 1/2 inch; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. At the very end add 2 teaspoons of salted butter and cilantro. serve immediately!!
- Note: If lentils begin to look dry while cooking, add more water or broth as needed.
Updated: July 21, 2017