It is Spaghetti Wednessssssssssssday (insert happy dance)! Why yes, it is as awkward as you imaged it to be . Usually I’m excited for pasta but today I made fresh meaty spaghetti sauce. Which takes everything to a whole ‘other level. Can I just say that I am super excited about dinner today?
I make it by the gallon and freeze it for mid week pasta nights or in my case mid-morning pasta cravings. This meaty spaghetti sauce is just that amazing. My kids love spaghetti and “the sauce” as my family calls it. If I would allow them, I am positive my kids would eat it everyday. What’s even worse is that I am tempted to do it because I am secretly addicted to pasta.
Usually Wednesdays are when I stand in front of the fridge and ponder life—what is the meaning of life—-why can’t I fly or have the moves like Jagger? (Sigh… insert the feels). This is all brought on by the HARDEST question to answer: What to cook for dinner? However, today is not one of those days, because I am prepared for all of life’s obstacles: Wednesday night dinner, being cool enough to wear fringed clothing or scarves in florida.
You can top it over regular spaghetti, ziti, shells or in lasagna. It also freezes well too so on days like these you can have dinner more than half way finished. just boil pasta and smeaeeeeeer. Perfecto! Meaty spaghetti sauce for the WINNNNN!!!
Confession time: I love day old pasta with sauce because I totally have leftovers for breakfast. Don’t you think pasta is equally as delish the next day?
Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 4 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 table spoon brown sugar
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 large onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon crush red pepper flakes adjust to taste we like it spicy
- extra parmesan cheese to serve
- fresh crack black pepper to serve
- To start open the canned tomato and crush with your hand or a fork. set aside
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until it is browned. Remove the meat from pot and place to the side.
- Discard the grease in the pot, but do not clean. Put the pot back on stove and put in the olive oil. throw in the onions, stir for about two minutes until the onions look almost transparent- then add in the garlic. stir for an additional minute, do not let the garlic brown.
- Pour in the Vegetable broth and allow to reduce for 1 minute. Add in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine, then add: oregano, thyme, soy sauce, turmeric , sugar, bay leaves, and crushed red pepper. Add the ground beef and stir to combine. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 1 hour (Low and slow). Stir occasionally. Keep extra broth on hand if it needs more liquid.
- After an hour, add parsley and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine, Allow to simmer for 15 mins. remember to discard the bay leave and thyme steams before serving.
- Serve over spaghetti with extra olive oil.
- Digggggggg in