Shout out to this orange cumin roast chicken which is perhaps one of the easiest chicken recipes that I have ever made. The cumin and red pepper flakes adds tons of warmth. While the honey and orange adds a sweet(ish) – sour(ish) quality that kicks up the flavor.
Hey Hey Hey Now!
What a gwan?
I am kinda obsessed with Family dinner. My family religiously gets together once per week for dinner. For me it is a reminder of what I have and who I am. I love the idea of making big pots of food and sharing it with the people I bicker with the most. In the most loving way possible.
I don’t know if you noticed but the olympics are on. And last night was the track and field finals. And there is this guy named Usain bolt. I’m kidding I know you know Usain Bolt. Psssssssssss- If you don’t know him, he is LITERALLY the fastest man on this earth. And he is JAMAICAN.
So last night was our family’s official watch party. It’s kinda a big deal. As is a Jamaican tradition everyone carried a big pot with them. Because when he wins, we celebrate by banging on the pots. I kid you not. It is beyond fun! The kids lost their minds because they do that on the daily.
So we shared food, laughs and celebrated. In a way yesterday was the last time that we would be together again during summer vacation. My baby brother is starting college in a week. I can still remember him learning to walk. I’m already crying. So I enjoyed showering him with kisses.
So this dinner in many ways was a celebration of culture and family. I couldn’t ask for more. I am blessed. Make this orange cumin roast chicken tonight it pleased my crazy Jamaican family.
Orange Cumin Roast Chicken
- 8 pieces of chicken I used legs and thighs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 large navel orange. sliced
- 2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 large purple onion sliced cross ways
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes add more for a spicy dish
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet (with lid) over high heat. Add chicken skin side down and cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet. Drain excess fat from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium high. Add the cumin seeds, lightly toast- careful not to burn. Melt butter then add garlic. Cook for a minute until softened. Add stock and orange juice. Bring to simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet to mix the brown bits into the liquid. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- And return chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Add oranges, red pepper flakes, thyme and onion. Cover with lid, then transfer to the oven. Bake for 60 minutes, covered, then remove the lid and bake for a further 15 minutes to add color to the skin. The chicken should be tender.
- Remove chicken or move to side. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with plenty of parsley or fresh thyme. Serve with rice, potatoes or roasted vegetables.