Tired of boring green beans? Well you are in luck- these green beans are crunchy, flavorful and surprisingly simple. This recipe for these Toasted Almond Coconut Green Beans are especially delicious when loaded with garlic, coconut flakes, almonds and ginger.
So I made salmon for dinner and in an attempt to be good– I wanted to eat something green. Green things are generally good for you right?
And sometimes when I make green beans I would hear whispers of “Not Greeeeeeeeeen beans”. You know the green beans I’m talking about. The limp, not so green, boring green beans. I’m guilty! I’ve done it. I honestly thought that was how they were made.
I regularly apologize to my family every fourth week of the month for those dark dark days.
The addition of ginger adds the perfect amount of excitement that takes ordinary green beans and makes them fun.
This recipe is : easy, quick, flavorful and super healthy!!
Toasted Almond Coconut Green Beans
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound green beans trimmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt optional
- In a large skillet add the oil and heat on medium. When the oil is warm add the shallot. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until shallots are soft. Add the garlic. red pepper flakes and ginger. Cook for an additional minute.
- Add the green beans to the skillet. Cook the beans over medium heat, stirring and tossing occasionally, until they are bright in color and cooked – but still slightly crunchy – about 5 to 6 minutes. This is when you can add salt however I find that this dish hardly needs much. Add the shallots, garlic and ginger back into the skillet and toss. Toss in the toasted almonds and sprinkle toasted coconut flakes.
- Serve immediately.