Slow Braised Lamb Shanks
Minimum fuss with maximum flavor is the best way to describe this slow braised lamb shanks recipe. Tons of herbs add fresh flavor to this recipe.
- 2 large Lamb Shank (4 small lamb shanks will do as well)
- 1 large bunch Fresh rosemary approx .75 oz
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 2 sticks Cinnamon
- 1 small bunch Thyme approx 5 sprigs
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cups Chicken Stock Just enough to slightly cover shanks
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin podwer
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup fresh plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 large bunch mint and thyme (for gravy)
- 2 carrots chopped
- For the lamb:Preheat your oven to 400 F.Slash the fat side of the lamb all over with a sharp knife. Rub the lamb all over with salt and pepper. Heat a pan with olive oil. Brown all the side of the lamb shanks. Remove from pan. Lay half the sprigs of rosemary and half the garlic cloves on the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven( or any oven safe pan). Place the shanks in the pan on top of the rosemary and garlic, and put the rest of the rosemary and garlic on top of the lamb.
Add stock and all the other ingredients in the pot. Stir everything together, cover and put in the oven to stew for 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone and the sauce is thick.Note: You might need to add more water or stock as you go.Take it out of the oven and allow to rest for 10 – 15 minutes. Gravy:Remove the Lamb Shanks from the pots. Skim off the fat. Pour away most of the fat from the pan, discarding any bits of herbs. Reserve approximately 2 cups of stock. Add 1 Tablespoon butter and mix in the flour. Add the stock, stirring and scraping all the sticky goodness off the bottom of the pan. Allow to reduce and thicken. Finely chop the mint and thyme- add it to the sauce. Add the red wine vinegar at the last minute. Serve warm over mashed sweet potatoes. Yums!